We want Coach Pony to be a safe space that empowers coaches.
To help do that, here’s where we stand:
1) We stand with the Black community and the Black Lives Matter movement.
2) We are against systemic racism.
3) It’s time for a massive change. We believe that coaches – who are trained on how to tackle deep divisive beliefs – are a critical component to helping to make that change.
What we are doing now, short-term:
1) Learning. Team Pony is White (meaning our trainers, support team and me, our Founder). We have a lot to learn about our blindspots, privilege and ignorance. We are learning as fast we can. Some resources we have found useful are linked below.
2) Updating. We have blogs about business books that only feature White people, and guidelines and rules that are written from the white perspective. We want to make sure our current resources are diverse and inclusive. ***If you have recommended blogs, books or podcasts about the skill of coaching or business skills written by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color), please email hello (at) coachpony.com with your recommendation.
3) Donating. We have made one-time donations to the ACLU, and recurring donations to the NAACP Legal Defense fund, and Color of Change.
What we will be doing, longer-term:
1) Diversifying our training staff, and bringing in black coaches as experts. <—This has started as of July 16, 2020.
2) Amplifying the voices and work of coaches of color on our platform. <—this has started as of August 25th, 2020
3) Hiring vendors and team members who are black. <—This has started as of July 16, 2020
4) Listening and learning, so we can develop a sustainable long-term plan. <—This has started as of June 8th and is ongoing
5) Continuing to donate, so action never stops. <—This has started as of June 11, 2020
This plan will continue to evolve as we grow and learn, but it is important to put down a marker now.
Short list of resources we have found helpful:
–To all of my white friends…do this first (DailyKos)
–White Fragility (Penguin Books)
–Black Lives Matter (Black Lives Matter Website)
–Activism and Allyship Guide (Prepared by the Black @Airbnb Employee Resource group)
–Anti-Racism for White People (document compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein)
-Christie and Team Pony