We all make mistakes in life. And as a coach, you’re going to make mistakes with your clients. You’re not perfect and your clients (usually) don’t expect you to be.
But they will–consciously or not– take advantage of contract loopholes, poor enforcement, unclear terms and other not-so-fun ways to ask for services outside of what your intended agreement is.
This season on the Coach Pony Podcast, I’m teaming up with Bobbi Palmer from Date Like a Grownup to talk about the mistakes coaches make when building their businesses. And today, we’re diving into contracts.
Contracts can be tricky territory with coaching because of the personal investment you develop in your clients. But bending your own rules because you hate saying no to someone you care about doesn’t help either of you.
From making your terms and conditions as clear as possible to setting your boundaries and sticking to them, we have been there, done that, written the scripts for handling it the next time.
We want to spare you the pain and also remind you that when you mess up, you’re in great company. Because we’ve all been there.
Listen to the full episode to hear:
- Why anything outside of the original contract, like an extension, needs additional terms
- Why you can’t agonize over every request for exceptions to your contracts or terms
- How to use scripts to protect your boundaries around your terms
- Why you have to have a clear refund and guarantee policy and why you need to put it everywhere
- Christie and Bobbi’s top two tips for dealing with contracts
To learn more about Bobbi Palmer:
To learn more about Christie Mims:
And if you have some chocolate worth reviewing on the show, we are easily bribed!
You can send it to us at: Christie Mims, 3630 High Street, #19286, Oakland, CA 94619